They are best served with various chutneys. This recipe is from Indian Home Made Cooking.
Ingredients (for about 30 pakoras):
-1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp cayenne/chili pepper
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 6 cups fresh spinach, finely chopped
- 1 medium red potato, peeled and very finely diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 fresh hot green chili pepper, very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups chickpea flour (can be found in the "natural foods" section of many supermarkets)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1.75 cups water
- Canola oil for deep frying
1. Mix the spices in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder and grind very coarsly.
2. Combine the spice powder with the vegetables, chili, cilantro, flour, salt and baking powder and stir to coat everything with the flour. Add the water gradually and stir to create a batter.
3. Pour several inches/cm of oil into a large skillet and heat over medium heat until the oil is hot (but not very hot. You want the potatoes to cook without the pakoras burning). Spoon 4-5 large spoonfuls of the mixture into the oil. Allow to fry for about a minute, then turn over and cook for another minute, then keep cooking, flipping occasionally, for about 5-6 minutes, or until cooked through and golden brown.
4. Using a slotted spoon, remove the fried pakoras into a plate lined with paper. Keep doing this until you fry all of them. Serve hot with chutney.