This time, we made Naan bread.The recipe is based on the one here.
We made it GF with Cup4Cup flour and it came out very nice, but I'm not sure it'll work with other kinds of GF flour.
Ingredients (for 8 Naans):
-1.5 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1.5 tsp sugar
-3 cups all purpose flour
-1 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp ghee (clarified butter) or oil
- 3 tbsp yogurt or sour cream
1. Add the yeast to the warm water and sugar. Leave aside for 10 minutes until it begins to bubble.
2. In a large mixing bowl (or the bowl of a mixer) combine the flour and the salt. Add the yeast mixture, the yogurt and half of the ghee/oil.
3. With your hands or a mixer, knead until a soft, elastic dough forms (if you use GF flour it will be less elastic).
4. Place the dough into a bowl, lightly oiling it to prevent drying. Cover the bowl and allow to rise in a warm area (if your house is not very warm, put it in a very slightly warmed oven) for 90 minutes, until about doubled in size.
5. Preheat oven to 200 C/400 F. Punch down the dough and divide it into eight equal balls. On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a flat round, about 7-8"/ 18" in diameter.
6. Cover a baking tray with lightly oiled aluminum foiled. Put the naan's on the tray, making sure they don't touch each other (you will probably need more than one tray). Brush with oil/ghee and put in the hot oven, baking until the naan puffs and turns golden (this will take about 7 minutes), then turn around and bake a bit more (about 3 minutes). Remove from oven and serve.