This is a vegetarianized version of a recipe from Jane Milton's mexican cookbook.
Ingredients (for 4-6 portions):
- 1 package of extra firm tofu
- 2 limes or lemons
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2-1 tsp chili powder (depending how hot you like this)
- 1 tsp cinammon
- 2 onions
- 3 peppers (1 green, 1 red, 1 yellow or orange)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- To serve tortilla, salsa, guacamole etc. (optional)
1. Slice the tofu into small strips. In a large bowl combine the juice from the limes/lemons, sugar, oregano, chili powder and cinnamon. Add the tofu into the bowl and mix well. Marinate for 20-30 minutes.
2. Slice the onion and the peppers into strips.
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the tofu and stir fry until the tofu is beginning to brown. Add the peppers and onions and stir for another 3-4 minutes. The vegetables should be fairly soft.
4.Serve with rice, or on tortillas with toppings.