It is filling but at the same time light and cool.
It is from the Israeli vegetarian cookbook I mentioned at an earlier post.
The original recipe flavors the salad with a little bit of sumac, a nice lemony spice. I didn't have any on hand, so I used another middle-eastern spice, Za'atar. But if you have neither, just skip them.
Yogurt and Pasta Salad
Ingredients (for 4-6 portions):
- 1 package (1 lb/500 gram) short pasta
- 400 grams (2 small containers, about 2 cups) plain yogurt
- Juice from 1/2-1 lemon
- 2-3 scallions (green onions) finely chopped
- Zest from 1/2 lemon
- Handful of fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of sumac or zaatar, to taste (optional)
1. Make pasta according to instructions on the package. Drain and wash under cold water until the pasta is cool.
2. Meanwhile in a bowl combine the yogurt, lemon juice, scallions and lemon zest. Season with about 1/2 tsp of salt.
3. When the pasta is ready and cool, toss the pasta in the yogurt dressing. Check seasoning and season with black pepper and additional salt as needed. Plate the pasta and top with basil and sumac or zaatar.