You can use the same concept but play with the ingredients. I like to make it with goat cheese and tomatoes and without the capers, for example. My sister suggests a variation where you add large chunks of avocado just before the feta, and stir to blend it with the sauce.
Feta and Leek Gnocchi
Ingredients (for 2-3 very large portions or 4 medium ones):
* 3-4 tbsp of olive oil
* 2-3 leeks, sliced into rings
* 4-5 cloves of garlic, sliced
* Black pepper
* A large handful of capers (preferably in brine. These are optional)
* 500 grams (about 1 lb) of gnocchi (fresh or dry)
* 200 grams (about 7-8 oz) of feta cheese, cubed
* grated Parmesan cheese, to serve
1. In a very large pan or wok, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and leeks and fry in the oil until soft, but not golden.
2. Meanwhile, boil water in a pot. When it is boiled, cook the gnocchi according to instructions. Drain the gnocchi.
3. Add the capers into the garlic and leeks and season with black pepper. Do not salt, as the feta will add plenty of saltiness to the dish. You may add other herbs such as basil at this point, if you want.
4. Stir the feta into the vegetables. When the feta begins to melt (after about 30 seconds), add the gnocchi into the pan and stir for another 30 seconds, until the feta is melted and coats the gnocchi.
5. Plate the gnocchi and serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan.